IUU fishing is a global problem that threatens ocean ecosystems and sustainable fisheries. Various public law measures have been taken by the international community and the European Union to combat IUU fishing, but while these efforts, combined with those of various NGOs, have yielded positive results, it is believed that the insurance market could play a more active role in the fight against IUU fishing.
The primary object of this Symposium is to raise awareness of IUU fishing among stakeholders within the London insurance market. To facilitate discussion and inspire engagement from attendees, case studies within the context of the legal and insurance perspective will be presented by experts in the field.
Speakers and Chairpersons include:
- Lasse Gustavsson (Senior Vice President and Executive Director, Ocean Europe, Madrid)
- Associate Professor George Leloudas (IISTL, Swansea University, Swansea)
- Dana Miller (Marine Scientist, Oceana Europe, Dublin)
- Kjetil Saeter (Investigative Journalist, Oslo)
- Professor Barış Soyer (IISTL, Swansea University, Swansea)
- David Vajnai (Vice President, Marsh Global Marine Practice, London)
Registration and other details:
The Seminar will be held at the Hallam Conference Centre (44 Hallam Street, London, W1W 6JJ) starting at 13:30.
A reception will be held directly after the event from 17:00 – 18:00.
Participation is free but please note that places are limited.